There was a settlement in Taxenbach all the way back in 1500 B.C., though clear evidence only dates from the later Bronze Age. One site occupied by these people was on the Schlossberg. Near the forestry house two bronze arm rings were found, and in Högmoos clay pottery from the Bronze Age. These Bronze Age people were followed by the Celts or Taurisker (ca. 400 B.C.). They operated a gold mine in Gastein and Rauris. Because of the gold, the Romans were also interested in our area and sent settlers here. They left behind all kinds of traces in Taxenbach. Aside from a gravestone on the field at the Summererbauer farm, at the Edtgut a pot was found containing beautiful Roman coins. This is an indication that the Romans had taken over the road via Höf and created settlements alongside it. After the original Bavarians, in their first migration in ca. 500 A.D., had only pushed forward as far as the Saalfelden Basin, they did not make it into Salzachtal until the year 800. Taxenbach is a church settlement by the time it expands under the Bavarians in the early Middle Ages. The houses adjoin the church to create a purposely planned rectangle which forms the market square. The population expanded rapidly, which meant the need for additional sources of income was great. At that time, only the ground itself really came into question. And so it was that land was cleared, whole areas of forest burned down, and the existing meadows and open ground improved into farm land. By the year 1350, this colonization of our area was, for the most part, complete, and the valley settled by Bavarians. The remaining Romans became integrated with the Bavarians.
963The first ever writings about Taxenbach.1150The Lords of "Tassinbach" appear. There must already have been a noble seat, a castle in Taxenbach. Arnold is the first Taxenbacher.1228All of Pinzgau passes from the dukes of Bavaria to the prince archbishops.1411 A church is consecrated in Taxenbach. From this time, a crypt chapel and a portion of the steeple wall are preserved in original condition.1525-1526 Peasant insurrection (against new forestry laws imposed by Archbishop Matthäus Lang), resulting in the castle going up in flames.1530 Parsonage is built.1558Taxenbach receives a market charter.1600 Schooling is provided to the children of Taxenbach for the very first time.1622 The result of a market fire, 16 houses and the church are reduced to ashes.1640 Cathedral architect Santino Solari is commissioned to renovate the church.1688 During a St. Bartholomew pilgrimage, 67 people drown in Lake Königssee, including 8 from Taxenbach.1710 Construction of the "Chapel of Our Lady" .1731 As a consequence of the Emigration Edict of the archbishop, 45 Taxenbach families who had not wanted to give up their Protestant beliefs were compelled to leave their homeland.1778 Construction of an administrative building, now the district courthouse 1792 Establlishment of the Taxenbach deanery 1794 The "Embacher Plaike" creates a 6 km-long lake. The River Salzach takes three years to eat its way through this naturally created dam and flow once again along the valley bottom.1809 During the Napoleonic Wars, a battle takes place at the Halbstundenbrücke bridge, in which Anton Wallner with 400 Pinzgauers is able to hold a force twenty times greater at bay for seven hours.1850 Restructuring of the local political and administrative system. As a consequence, Taxenbach, along with all other townships, gains its own village council and a mayor.1851 Taxenbach town band is founded.1855 Taxenbach becomes a post station and stables horses when the road, which had previously run from Lend via Embach, down to Kitzloch, up to the Edtbauer, via Höf to the Hengsthof, then over to the left bank of the Salzach and on to Bruck, is now brought through Taxenbach itself. From 1750-1855, post coaches did not reach Taxenbach, since postal service was from Salzburg via Lofer to Zell am See. Only with construction of the Lend-Bruck road as well as a railway line did Taxenbach finally have access to major transit arteries. 1872 The castle on the Schlossberg burns down and is never rebuilt.1875 Opening of the Salzburg-Wörgl rail line.1877 The fire brigade is founded.1881Elisabeth Lackner bequeaths the "Bothensepplhaus" to the community. In accordance with her wishes, it is used as an old people's home and village hospital.1890 Founding of the first Raiffeisen bank in Salzburg province.1902 The Kitzloch electricity plant goes into operation.1907 Taxenbach acquires a public water-supply system.1912-1915 The railway adds a second track.1914-1918 52 soldiers from Taxenbach fall in the First World War.1920 Electric lighting is brought to this market town.1926 The first post bus runs from Taxenbach to Rauris.1930 The Salzburg-Wörgl rail line is electrified.1938 Eschenau becomes a part of Taxenbach.1939-1945 107 Taxenbachers never return home from World War II.1952 The sports grounds are constructed by American occupying forces.1958 The town bypass opens.1966 The middle school is opened1974 Eight children perish in an accident in Kitzloch Gorge.1977 A kindergarten is opened.1982 A Polytechnic School is opened in Taxenbach serving the Unterpinzgau region.1985 The senior citizens' home is dedicated.1988 The former village hospital and old people's home now becomes a center for local heritage groups.